Valentines Day is a day of love and a day of giving. But this year, Audrey Press has a challenge for you.
Instead of giving treats or stuffed critters, we challenge everyone to celebrate International Book Giving Day by giving someone you love (adult or child) A BOOK.
International Book Giving Day is a day dedicated to getting new, used, or borrowed books in the hands of as many kids as possible.
Things you can do today to celebrate and encourage others:
- Give a book to a child as a Valentine’s Day present instead of candy.
- Borrow a book from the library, and make the time to site and read with your child.
- Share a book at your local nursing home or assisted living center.
- Identify a waiting room with out-dated or non existent books, and commit to leaving a book in that waiting room within the next week.
- Donate money or time to a charity working to distribute books to kids (United Way\’s Imagination Library)
Things you can do to encourage others in your life:
1. Spread the word! Invite friends and family members to participate. Tap into social media like Facebook and Twitter to pass the word.
3. Do some reading yourself: Read about International Book Giving Day and how it started on their webpage.
4. Collect used books from others. Everyone has a box (or two!) of books they no longer read, or the kids have outgrown. We encourage people to engage in simple acts of giving (e.g. give a book to your daycare, school, family member) today and the rest of the week. If you want to do something on a grander scale, consider holding a book drive. Holding a book drive can be as straightforward as setting out a box at your school, church, or community gathering spot, collecting used books, and donating the books to a local library or a nonprofit organization that distributes books to kids in need.
5. Pop on over to Delightful Children\’s Books blog. They are showcasing an amazing program that helps get books into the hands of children in Africa. Books for Africa collects, sorts, ships and distributes books to children in Africa. Books for Africa accepts gently used books that are 15 years old or newer and are relevant to an African reader. Boxes must weigh less than 50 lbs each. See the Books for Africa website for more information about which books Books for Africa will and will not accept.
Books can be shipped to:Books for Africa Warehouse-Atlanta 2971 Olympic Industrial Drive SE, Suite B Smyrna, GA 30080 USA