This month I am revisiting some of my favorite family reads surrounding Native American Heritage Month. Many of these books were published a handful of years ago, but as such high quality, they deserve to remain on parents, educators, caregivers, and librarians radar.
One such book is a Creek Indian tale called, The Otter, the Spotted Frog and the Great Flood by Gerald Hausman and beautifully illustrated by Ramon Shiloh.
In this story, the spotted frog announces to the world that a great flood is coming which will destroy all of their homes. All of the animals ignore the spotted frog’s warning, except an otter named Listener.
Ridiculed by all the other animals, Listener heeds Spotted Frog’s warnings and begins to build a raft to try and survive the coming flood.
As the story progresses and Listener survives the flood, he learns via a mosquito and a fish about his future wife who becomes “First Woman.”
Listener the Otter, and First Woman the mosquito turned to fish, both become the first two-legged beings to walk on earth.
From that time on, the earth was good to them and they always listened to Spotted Frog, who everyone knew was the frog who saved the world by singing.
Our family and friends alike have greatly loved this book. First, because the story is told brilliantly by Gerald Hausman. It uses simple and concise language while sharing the story in a simple manner. Also part of this storytelling adventure is the exquisite paintings and illustrations of Ramon Shiloh. There is a nice even flow between story and text forming a single cohesive unit of storytelling magic.
Books as Gifts
So, in honor of getting a jump-start on the 2020 holiday shopping season, we are offering the very special October Coupon Code, SAVE25. Use this code at checkout to enjoy 25% off on orders over $50 AND free shipping too!
Go HERE to explore our wide range of books for multiples and ages and genres and start ticking some gift recipients off your holiday shopping list!
So for the 2020 holiday season, everyone at Audrey Press would like to offer a gift-buying perk (and stress buster!) in the form of a very unique 10 BOOK BUNDLE plus a special COUPON CODE.
During the month of October, use Coupon Code SAVE25 at checkout to save 25% on orders over $50!
This special Holiday 10-book Bundle Deal includes one paperback or hardcover copy of the following books:
- The Ascension Trilogy-Ascension, Clandestine, and Reclamation by Hannah Rials (YA, Urban Fantasy)
- Two-Year Waitlist: An Entrepreneurial Guide for Music Teachers by Noreen Wenjen (Non-fiction Business)
- Pilgrimage: A Modern Seeker’s Guide by Evans Bowen (Spirituality and Travel)
- HOW TO COACH GIRLS by Mia Wenjen and Alison Foley (Parenting and Coaching)
- The Elusive Full Ride Scholarship: An Insider’s Guide by Mia Wenjen and Alison Foley (Parenting and Coaching)
- Sissy Goes Tiny by Rebecca Flansburg and BA Norrgard (Hardcover Children’s Picture Book)
- Dragons Are Real by Valarie Budayr (Children’s Picture Book)
- A Year in the Secret Garden by Valarie Budayr and Marilyn Scott-Waters (Middle Reader Activity and Screen-Free Learning)
So this holiday season, give your family the gift that they can open again and again…BOOKS!
***FREE SHIPPING in the USA-Be sure and order before December 15, 2020, to ensure arrival before Christmas.***Again, use SAVE25 at checkout to save 25% on orders over $50!